Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Quilt National 2011

Cross My Heart

in QUILT NATIONAL 2011
The Dairy Barn Arts Center Athens Ohio
May 28 - Sept 5, 2011
Silk, Linen, velvet, silk thread,
dye, paint;
layered, pieced,
hand embroidered,
hand quilted 33 " x 35"


Hand stitching adds the power of repeted human touch.
The small marks are each unique yet all the same.
Covering a surface with hand stitches gives me time to meditate.
The "work" of the work also seems to open up a contemplative place for the viewer.

Tiime is taken to make the work.
Time is needed to understand it.
The time that I put into the work is a gift.
Time is a material.

5 comments:

  1. It may have taken time, but it only takes a moment to see how much exquisite work has gone into this.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an exquisite piece. i wish i could see it up close. really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the friend I saw the exhibit with was really taken by "time as a material". She kept saying it and we talked about it on our ride back to Columbus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How right your words about TIME in art are! I'll presume to talk about them in my blog.

    Your words always touch me as much as your works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Absolutely stunning. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete